Sunday 28 July 2013

Best Friend

I remember the night you first told me you were dying. How absurd, I thought, I did not like the way it came clicking out of your tongue. We were in a ripe age. Youth – everyone wanted to be immortal. And you looked immortal, a face veiled by an ancient godliness, perhaps because you had just shaved that morning.

You did not look “dying.” Ah, you had those long, thin fingers: I remember well how they cradled the fork that carried the spindle of pasta to your eager mouth, the seldom drip of the viscous bloody sauce, pieces of meat and pepper, the grinding of your teeth. Above us, warm yellow light dissolved the restaurant in a pretense of safety, plastering our vulnerability within a copied memory of “home.”

Back then, your eyes were bereft of the screen you had a habit of wearing elsewhere. Your neck, a pillar to the prize that is your head, was craned consciously at a curious angle. I could almost see the air filling up your throat before every enunciation.

I strained to listen to your monologue on little sharp things and their affinity to your skin. It was something I knew well. I, too, had that, an evening before I put you in my line of vision. Needles in plastic ware . . . Not clean, no, just the way I preferred them. They embossed themselves on the material mortality of my arm like a nail driven into a plank of plywood. My skin felt more tangible than it ever had. I did it fast, scratching at the itches of my inadequacy, after the maternal figure slammed the bedroom door in a feverish whip of disappointment –

one fluid line after another.

This was our armistice, you and me versus the pretentiousness of the world (and there was the occasional stifling of a chuckle that hid our own pretentiousness inside the quiet of the restaurant.) It was written on the air that flowed from our lungs to our mouths, a graceful ascent that was almost serendipitous. That summer, the war melted into the thin ceramic plate you ate pasta on, pieces of meat and pepper, meat and pepper . . .

0 comments:

Post a Comment