Wednesday 26 February 2014

On the topic of departure while on departure

I used to think, "This is where I leave you -"

after the last shop closes,
behind the Russian hum of traffic,
by the tactfulness of non-speech.
The departure is easier
when contact is a grazing of the skin
or a glance (or two.)

Everything happens around silence.
The echo of your feet softens
as the distance between you and me grows
and the slump of your shoulder
is no longer as timid.

Everything happens around silence.
Your hands know less of shaking
and you are neither the wonder of words
nor of the world, anymore.

Everything happens around silence.
My feet know less of following
and yours can only walk faster.

Everything happens around silence -
everything but the departure.

3 comments:

  1. You're one of my favorite writers. I wish you could write a book soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! But I am years and experiences away from being capable of writing a book. :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh, but you are. It's just that the impulse to write a masterpiece hasn't hit upon you yet.

    ReplyDelete