Tuesday 12 April 2011

Nannies Feed on Humans

One of my many under-appreciated talents is bargain-hunting (I'd rather not mention the others for you might un-friend me and I might end up watching chick flicks alone.) So today I went to the mall with my sister, who is also my official shopping partner, and went snooping around apparel stores for items that might be on sale.

Alas, my skills did not let me down. I found an adorable pair of shorts from Black Sheep-- half-price-- and a classic top the color of turd but looks very chic, nonetheless. Despite my feelings of guilt, I decided life must go on and that I am compelled to reinforce my wardrobe in preparation for college.


One of the things I learned while on that adventure, though, is to never stare at a cute kid when the nanny is present unless you are willing to be charged for harassment. I saw a sweet toddler sitting on the lap of the person I assumed to be the yaya, or nanny, and he stared back so charmingly that I found it hard to break the eye contact. I tried smiling but I guess he isn't the friendly type.

Then the nanny turned her head to look at me. I don't know, maybe nannies have telepathic powers that alert them whenever someone is staring at their kid. She huffed, I think, so I pretended to look around like nothing happened. It was one of those awkward situations when you catch someone staring at you and they avert their gaze, but later on steal a look at you to check if you were still on patrol for them.

This reminds me of my nanny back when I was in third grade. Whenever she'd come to take me home from school, she'd wear her man-eater outfits consisting of a neon-colored tight-fit halter top, skinny jeans (did she set the trend back then?) and flip-flops. The tops didn't flatter her skin color but she was sexiest among the nannies. Hell, she was young. And tall. She was snotty at times but I loved her; she was always there to pull me out of fights I intended, and didn't intend, to go into. I wish all nannies were like her.

0 comments:

Post a Comment