Sunday 28 August 2011

UP and Everything Else

This is the University of the Philippines - Visayas, Miag-ao Campus:

Image (c) Arnel Telesforo
http://sirpabs.ilahas.com

This is where I'm taking up an undergraduate degree in Chemistry. This is where I stay for six days a week, where I eat meals worth thirty pesos, where I attend classes (late) and where I see numerous people sporting the same hairstyle as I. This is where asphalted roads need a lot of repair and Chemistry labs need more distilling flasks. It's a pleasure to show you around.


(I found a website that listed and defined terms commonly used in UP Miag-ao three months ago. I was really amused because 1) the definitions are correct and 2) they are published online.)

I've been led to believe that this is sort of a defense mechanism for us temporary Miag-ao inhabitants. Since we live in what we term as a bukid (Ilonggo for mountain or a mountainous area) we compensate for it by calling the place Miami.



The trademark Filipino tricycle is the main mode of transportation in the campus. I always have trouble hailing one. Either my appeal has zeroed out or the drivers are just peripherally-blind.


I still eat, don't worry. In fact, all I ever do is eat. Food vendors love me but I guess the same feeling doesn't apply to my arms and waistline (and wallet.)

Though nature is UP Miag-ao's best (and probably only, but that's just me ranting around) asset, it also boasts of roads that induce gag reflexes. If by some coincidence my name appears in obituaries anytime soon, you know what to blame.
I went shopping here a month ago. (My list included a push-up thing - and not for the reason you are accusing me of.) Apparently, the place isn't anything compared to urban malls and by the time I got home, I was dizzy from the heat and the unexpected drizzle.

I would also like to recommend Macbridge's Cheezy Ham Sandwich. The name doesn't give the real thing much justice so I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed.
 College math and I are not in good terms these days. Yesterday, I arrived an hour late for the exam. It's a miracle my teacher still allowed me to take it.

I belong to the Elektrons. It's funny because, in my batch, we are mostly women. I bet this implies something, yes?

#

By the way, I'm drinking alkaline water. It tastes awful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment