Thursday 22 September 2011

It's Seer-sha, Not Sa-yohr-see

Do you know what's ironic? It's the fact that loneliness has been my constant companion these past days/weeks/months. My class schedule is pretty crappy. I have six hours of break time, and I have 7 am classes before that. What's a person to do to keep away from being on the verge of insanity?


My friends and I have learned to make do with watching movies to pass time. Recently we watched the 2011 Joe Wright film, Hanna. It follows the story of Hanna Heller (Saiorse Ronan), a sixteen-year-old who is released into the outside world after years of being trained to become the perfect assassin. Her "father" Erik (Eric Bana) gives one mission: to kill the intelligence operative Marissa Wiegler (Cate Blanchett).

Adapt or die? Hm. Well... Basically the story of my life.
Image (c) Focus Features

Hanna is very reminiscent of The Hunger Games protagonist Katniss Everdeen, save the part where Hanna is almost entirely numb to any form of fear or sympathy. To be honest, I like how she can be ruthless and human at the same time - despite having the instincts of an assassin imbued into her persona, the wonder and sympathy we normal human beings feel once exposed to the world is still in her.

Plot-wise, I feel the writers could have added a little bit more twist. The action makes up for it though. There isn't too much blood and gore: the movie is the perfect balance of movement and thrill, which, I think, is essential to any action movie wanting to pin itself into the memory bank of its audience.

PLUS, the score is just awesome. Applaud The Chemical Brothers!

You should watch Hanna. It will help you gain the urge to move your butt out of the computer chair and move around, hiding from people with an imaginary gun in your hands, just like a boss.

#

Saiorse Ronan is one of my favorite actresses now. Someday, I hope I get to interview her. (Actually, I've been moping around for two days now because I was thinking how great it would be if she were Katniss. I like Jennifer Lawrence too and I trust her enough with the role... But Saiorse is Saiorse, after all.)

She is stunning. I sense a girl-crush coming on.

2 comments:

  1. i don't understand what the title means..hm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saiorse Ronan plays Hanna. I just wanted to share how her name is pronounced because it totally caught me off-guard the moment I found it out. Saiorse is pronouced "Seer-sha" :-)

    ReplyDelete